Here are some helpful tips that you can follow to reduce your impact on the planet :)
1. 90% of the energy used for your washing machine goes to heating that water! Use cold water instead. Not only does it save you money, it saves the environment and the colors of your clothes!
2. Do you have a dog? If so, pick up their droppings with biodegradable doggy bags. You can find in most pet stores or online here: http://poopbags.com/
3. Did you know hot water is the second biggest source of greenhouse gases created by US homes, and the second biggest utility expense for homes? Cut down on both by setting the temperature of your water heater to 120F.
4. Turn off lights and appliances when not in use or when you're not in the room.
5. Use a towel or air-dry your hair, instead of using a hair dryer. Your hair will also thank you from not getting damaged by the heat!
6. Unplug your phone charger from power outlets when not in use. Believe it or not, your power chord is still using electricity!
7. In the summer, close window shades to keep the sun from getting in. Your bill will be cheaper, as you won't have to use the air conditioning as much.
8. Put on a sweater when you are cold instead of asking for the heat to be turned up. Each year in the U.S., heating and cooling systems release over a half billion tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.
9. When possible, replace traditional light bulbs with fluorescent bulbs. These bulbs use less energy to provide the same amount of light.
10. Use reusable water bottles! Plastic water bottles, especially if heated up or left in the sun, relase harmful chemicals called phthalates. These chemicals cause severe DNA defects, cancer, and hormonal defects.
11. Bring in your own to-go box to box up food. Styrofoam is NOT biodegradable or recyclable.
12. Cut your showers to 2 minutes. When lathering, turn the water off. Turn back on when fully done lathering. Saves money, water, and the environment!
13. Speak up! Tell your mayor, governor, or president what you think and what they can do to help. Tell your friends and family to be environmentally friendly and to follow these and many more tips! :)